Saturday, December 10, 2011

It's beginning to look like Christmas

We are in full Christmas swing at our house.  Well – we have the tree up, three wreathes, the toy soldier on the back of the door, an ornament spoon holder, and a couple Christmas pillows floating around.  We didn’t go crazy – there were a lot of things that didn’t make the cut because little curious hands would destroy them – but the house is very “Merry Christmas!”  This year I managed to wrangle my husband into agreeing that perhaps the money spent on a Christmas tree would be put to better use getting the boys something for Christmas – or paying bills and putting food on the table.  Not sure how I succeeded, but it just so happened that my Daddy had an extra artificial tree that he could let us borrow, and he was coming to Columbus anyhow to take us to Fantasy in Lights.  Perfection.  $40 saved.  Thank goodness.




Fantasy in Lights was so much fun.  And a big shout to my super awesome employer, TSYS, who always works out a deal with Callaway allowing us to purchase super discounted tickets.  Love it.  We headed out literally as soon as I pulled up in the driveway and made it to the line around 6:30-6:45ish..?  It was perfectly dark.  William sat in front with Mima and told us all about everything he saw.  Then he switched and “drove” the van with Grandaddy and Hilbert helped steer.  He loved going under the light “tunnels”.  My favorite is the part with all the twinkle lights that just hang down from the trees.  No animation – just pretty white lights.  I’m easy to please.  And I swear Patrick even watched and enjoyed the lights.  It was a wonderful evening and I can’t wait to repeat it every year with the boys.  It can only get more fun.


Patrick has decided that excessive drooling is much more fun than spitting up.  Though, he still spits up frequently enough to create massive loads of laundry…  He sucks on his, gets the saliva really flowing, and then lets it dribble out of his mouth and onto his entire outfit.  A couple times we have been playing, I hold him up to fly, and then I get a whole bunch of drool dropped onto my face.  It’s awesome.  But if he’s teething – he’s not upset about it – though he does LOVE to have his gums rubbed.  Sam discovered that the other day.  If he was a cat – he would’ve purred.


He’s been practicing diligently at opening and closing his hands.  He focuses on his fingers really hard and very purposely practices.   It’s funny to watch him work so hard at it – but all that concentration is starting to pay off.  I left him this morning at daycare with a rattle in his hand and the other evening he had ahold of my shirt/hair.  Soon he will probably be able to for real play with toys and then life will be REALLY interesting.


William has been saying the funniest things.  The other day coming home from school, he was telling us something that sounded like “Garrett come to the house”.  Nothing is ever that clear though, so we tried all variations of Garrett and different people’s houses before I think William finally gave up and just said “ok”.  Haha!  I will say, I’m not necessarily looking forward to setting up playdates.  That just seems like it is going to be a lot of work and I’m sure that William will become best friends with a child whose parents I won’t be able to stand.  Without fail I am sure.   Maybe not.  We will see.  Maybe I have a year or so.  Though, getting invited to birthday parties has already started.  He was just invited to one for a child in the other Transition classroom, who I don’t even know.  I think that’s ridiculous.  I understand not wanting any child to feel left out, especially since they can communicate with each other now, but….um…..I don’t know you.  Your child is not in my child’s direct classroom.  Luckily, we will be heading to Cleveland during the party, so I’ve got an easy out.  Just saying.


Poor little William fell the other morning before school and ran into some picture frames that needed to be rehung, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.  Of course he would run into them and cut his face.  What we didn’t realize until the next day, was that he had also bit the hell out of his cheek.  We were dropping him off in his classroom, giving him a hug bye, and I caught a glimpse of the inside of his mouth.  It was hugely swollen and was white at the top of the wound.  I thought it was infected it looked so bad.  Sam was able to get a better look at it and thought maybe it was just beat up “cheek meat”.  I called the doctor and they said that there’s nothing that they can really do for it.  When we get home, we look at it again, and it just looks terrible.  Really really awful.  So Sam takes him to acute care, while I play with Patrick and make dinner.  They say basically the same thing, but give a prescription for antibiotics ‘just in case’ it gets infected.  Which was really what we were all so concerned about.  And honestly – somehow the copay for acute care has dropped and is the same as going to his pediatrician – so I might just start taking him there more often.  I was really happy they came home with a Rx in hand – I feel like we pay the copay too often and leave empty handed with the knowledge that there is “nothing they can do”.  Whatever.


Patrick has seemed to have acclimated successfully to daycare and has taken the opportunity to stop sleeping through the night.  We are now up anywhere between two and three times prior to 6am.  We are trying out alternating nights like we did with William.  Though, William only got up once and took a bottle of formula, so it’s not quite the same, but yeah.  It was nice to sleep all hours, but I felt really guilty about not giving the kids boobs, and anytime I go more than a couple hours without feeding him (when he’s home) I feel guilty.  I hate giving him a bottle on the weekend or in the evenings, because I am absolutely terrified that I will lose my milk supply.  Terrified.  But Thursday night was my night to get up and it wasn’t too bad.  It took me a long time to get back to sleep the first time, so I only got an hour between feedings to sleep, but I feel ok.   I just don’t know if this system is going to work.  I feel like the kid should get boobage, even though he’s getting breastmilk in a bottle if Sam feeds him.  But then, I will never get to sleep through the night ever again, because it doesn’t look like he’s hopping on that train anytime soon.  We’ll see.


We are such suckers.  I have declared that we are done with the boys’ Christmas half a dozen times.  That they are not getting any more presents.  And then, something pops up on the classifieds at work that is so cheap that I can’t refuse.  Granted – they are amazing deals and Patrick is going to look oh so cute in all of his new to him clothes.  (I also have total mommy guilt over him not having very much that has only been his…)   It’s silly.  I just have to keep reminding myself that it doesn’t matter how much we spend (which really hasn’t been that much anyhow) that #1 they are too young to remember #2 they don’t really NEED anything and #3 they will know that we love them more than anything regardless of how many presents Santa brings.  I just hate feeling like I can’t give them the world.  Stupid mommy guilt.


Did I mention that William refuses to say “Patrick” with a P – even though he can totally say that sound.  He calls him “Tatrick” and it is THE most adorable thing ever.  We are honestly just happy that he’s calling him by his name and not just saying Baby.  And oh how he does love the baby.  He always wants to hug and kiss and hold and carry Patrick.  Though – he never wants to do any of that when I am trying to take a picture of the two of them.  Of course.  One day.  I really shouldn’t be too disappointed because Patrick has a tendency to go a little bug eyed when the camera gets brought out and flashes.  I can’t blame him.  He has little eyes – I bet the flash IS kinda startling.


William might become a music kind of kid after all.  Or maybe a rockstar.  He was jamming out on his air guitar the other day.  I know I say this a lot - but MOST. ADORABLE. THING. EVER.  Seriously - the kid kills me.  His imagination knows no bounds, which I guess is the point, and it is so much fun hearing what his world looks like every day.  Hilbert has a starring role in most of his made up stories, but sometimes his cars and trains make an appearance.  I'm just happy that he's not a super-analytical kid.... well, yet.  He just goes with it, and goes fast, without looking where he's going.



I forgot to mention that William really enjoyed decorating the bottom 36 inches of the tree.  He did not appreciate it when he would see an ornament through the box, demand it, and it would be a breakable one that he was not allowed to hold.  He did really well though and there was only one casualty, and while it was an ornament I liked - there was no humongo sentimental value to it.  He is even adhering to the rule of "no touching the ornaments once they are on the tree".  Teaching him to stop stepping on the button to make the lights turn on is a different story.  He loves the lights on - but he also loves buttons....  Bad news bears.  I forsee many trips to the corner for "not listening to mommy/daddy".

Loves!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails