Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Fourth and a little More

I'm always behind in posting about holidays.  Such pressure to get the pics up in a timely fashion and I'm always failing miserably.  I was talking to Hads this morning while doing chores during naptime, and it occurred to us - it's not that we're bad housewives, it's just that we're tired and busy with the kidlets.  So, I'm officially cutting us some slack.  Though, that's easier to do now that the kitchen is finally clean and some of the house has been vacuumed.  

Our Fourth of July started on Saturday night with a cookout at Will & April's house.  Will has a shiny red smoker and had tending the ribs all day and THEY. WERE. DELICIOUS.  Seriously, we all stuffed ourselves silly.  So. Good.  Sam and I left plotting how to afford a new smoker.  Not going to happen, but we did go look at them on Sunday.  Just saying.  All three boys, April's Liam - Hadley's Robbie - and William, had a big time playing together and got filthy just like little boys are supposed to.  And we might've done the Hocutt's a huge disservice by teaching the toddlers how to climb in and out using the dog door....  Sorry!!  But they were super cute doing it.  William wanted nothing to do with it though and just explored the entire house and stole toys all evening.  

I swear two seconds before, pepito was sitting happily with Liam...

William must've played himself out because he slept really late on Sunday, we didn't make it to early church he slept in so late.  Then I cut the grass and I'm assuming we did something...oh - pepito went to B&B's to play and we went and oogled over smokers.  That's right.  Then around 3:00 - we went swimming at Green Island.  It seems poor William has always missed a nap when it's time to go swimming - so he was a bit fussy again....  He does love the water though...especially with his Daddy.

Followed swimming with sandwiches at B&B's, which was supposed to followed by joining in the festivities downtown complete with fireworks, but since pepito refused to nap - that plan was foiled.  We had to go home and put him to bed.  Boo.  I was hoping he would wake up at 9:00 and we could just head down there anyway but no such luck. We heard the whole neighborhood trying to light their houses on fire though.

his favorite place...

All in all - it was totally low key and good.  And even better than Sam still got Monday off.  No idea how we spent that day, I barely remember breakfast this morning, but I assume it was nice.  We might've cleaned the house..who knows.

In other news - pepito's tush is all clear and we are done with antibiotics.  Thank goodness.  He really hates having to take medicine, not even the grape flavor would make up for having a syringe stuck in his mouth twice a day.  He's back to his happy self though for the most part.  We had some kind of weird afternoon yesterday - all he wanted to do was scream and be held, but then he would crawl out of my lap just to scream some more and try to climb back in.  He couldn't figure out what he wanted, but I'm thinking it was his Daddy, because when Sam got home he put his happy face back on and was an absolute joy.  Just wish he would do that for me more often!

He has starting lunging/propelling himself forward if he decides to crawl.  It's hilarious.  And he can kneel on one leg - so I'm sure walking isn't too far away.  God help us.  I can't keep up with his mess as it is!  And he has so much hair now!  Not a full head by any means, but enough to mess up on top and it gets so curly in the back after sitting in the carseat/bathtime.  I love it all messy - but Sam keeps insisting that he brushes it down.

I'm counting down the days until we can start weaning to milk and not have to buy any more formula!!!  Yay!!!  I guess he'll just have to have milk in a bottle though, because he still hasn't quite mastered feeding himself.  Oh well.  He has starting picking up empty bottles and putting them to his mouth, so we'll see.  All in good time I am sure.  He REALLY didn't want to eat his mixed veggies the other day for lunch so I made him a scrambled egg - and that went over OK.  I can't decide if it wasn't a huge success because he was being a fussy butt or because he didn't like them.  Guess we'll try them again soon just to see.  We are going to stop giving him a biscuit at Saturday breakfasts at Chickfila because on Monday he literally choked on a whole mouthful of compacted biscuit.  He's too good at chipmunking food until no more will fit and the biscuits are so mushy that he can't swallow them.  So - that's why the eggs.  We'll see if they'll make us a side order and let him eat that until he gets more teeth.

He figured out how to knock on doors to get your attention.  He does it when we're on the screened porch but he also did at B&B's house to get Bill to stop reading the paper and come play.  It tickled the grandparents to see him knock with a closed fist.  He's too cute and is really starting to figure things out.  Of course, he knows "no", but Sam asked him to hand him something he wasn't supposed to be eating last night and William put it in his hand.  It's so much fun watching him learn things.  I seriously can't believe that's he's almost ONE!!


No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails