Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I Heart Christmas

Christmas is my super most favorite time of year. It's the only time we decorate the house and we go all out. (well, maybe not by some standards - but to us - we go crazy) We dug out the decorations as soon as we got back from Thanksgiving with the fam and set to figuring out where all of our 10 totes of fun would go now that we live in the smallest house we've ever had. Lucky for us, this also meant that there was absolutely no NEED to buy anything new. Sam did mention to talk me into buying a Snow Village Church that resembles our church, St. Paul Methodist, for our collection but I wouldn't authorize the purchase of the Snow Village Federal House that resembled Forest Ave. There's always next year... And we did have to buy new stockings because of the new addition to our family. But besides that, we only bought a small box of green ornaments for William's tree - I don't have a pic of that right now - he was sleeping when I went all photo Christmas crazy - but soon.


Dining Room Chandelier - last year the we hung these ornaments from the crystal chandelier - but it was hung much higher making it so the ornaments wouldn't obstruct the view of the people sitting at them table. Not the case in this house. We saw somewhere the idea of putting a wreath on the bottom on the chandelier, and since we had (several) extras thought it was worth a shot. I love it and think it will be become a new Christmas staple. I'll show you the rest of the dining room later - I was sewing all day so the rest of the room is a wreck...
Our mantle. Not quite as simple as years past and I love it. Used the extra limbs from the tree to add some dimension and then just filled in with pretty candlesticks. I had dreams of using every candlestick we own - but it was getting very symmetrical and the mantle isn't really deep enough to make it work. Filled the vases I bought last year with ornaments, filled in with beaded fruit and our silver birds - love. And I am still tickled that we have three stockings. Next year we will have them officially embroidered but I like the ribbon with the embroidery cut out for this year. Thanks be to my stepmom who has the awesome sewing machine that makes embroidery!

Our very sentimental tree. I am not a huge fan of themed trees. Though - if my parents didn't give us kids our ornaments, then I guess I would have no choice. But I love that our tree is full of ornaments from my childhood and, in the more recent years, ornaments that we have given each other. Nothing goes together and I love it!


The ornament Sam gave me this year. Technically it was the one he came home with from his work's Ornament swap party - but since he bought one for the party I think it totally counts. Especially since I also can't authorize the purchase of expensive ornaments this year.
Close up of the stockings. Sara tried to embroider the names on the stockings, but the machine isn't set up the way we needed it to - so she made our names, I cut them out of the white fabric, spray adhesived them to last years present ribbon, wrapped them around, stuck a pin in the back, and voila - loveliness.
Love my snowman and ornament trees that we got on after christmas plus employee discount from Pier 1 in college. Glad to see that atleast some of the massive amount of money I spent there has stuck around and been used.
My most favorite "Baby's First Christmas" ornament that's mine. See - sentimental trees are nice...
The three little birds are this year's ornament gifts to ourselves. At 99 cents each - I couldn't help but keep the tradition alive!

There's plenty more decorations but I have a feeling this is too long already. Next post will have baby pictures for sure for all those family members that have missed me posting them. I know I haven't posted in a week - bad blogger - consider me ashamed of myself. ;)

And I feel that I should note - that of course I love decorating for Christmas - it's kinda my thing - but what I really love about Christmas is getting together with all the family and every one puts the petty things in boxes and we have a good time. I love sitting around the island at my Dad's house with all my brothers and sisters while we cut up and laugh. Playing games, Love me some UNO, at my Mom's house is a staple - as is the red velvet cake - yum! I can't wait to have new "must do" things at our house with William. We'll probably lose the breakfast at Waffle House before we head to Bill & Becky's but I can't wait to wake up early with excitement with our son. Such a special time of year and I love spending it surrounded by my favorite people.

Loves.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails