Wednesday, August 10, 2011

August 3rd is a busy day in our house

August is a busy month for the Rumers.  At the very super beginning of the month we have two car registrations due and two birthdays to celebrate (followed shortly by two more family birthdays....)  I think it's beyond neat that William was born on Sam's birthday, but it's already making celebrating Sam's birthday a little more difficult. That being said, we celebrated Sam's birthday with dinner at his parent's house and a lemon meringue pie the Sunday before their birthday.  Gotta love Country's lemon meringue pie.  And Bill's comment that the pie was the only thing his mom knew how to make that was delicious.  Every time.... but I digress.

checking out his super cool CARS watch that he won't wear...

We hadn't planned anything crazy for the 3rd.  We had arranged for the birthday package at William's daycare, so we went at 3 to eat cupcakes and we brought an Elmo balloon for William.  He thought he was big stuff and wouldn't let anyone touch "my balloon".  Very protective of his things (even if they aren't exactly his - like "my door".... ha)  He was the only kid in the room who DIDN'T eat his cupcake.  And it actually got stolen by one his friends... oops - the kids aren't supposed to be sharing food...  He just wanted to be held or sit in one of our laps.  We managed to get a couple pictures, but he decided that since we were there that it was time to go very shortly after all the cupcakes came out.  His teachers had made him a really great sign - so we gently yanked it off the door and went on to more fun.

finally  -  a picture with mommy

For some reason, we decided that we would treat him to Monkey Joe's, which is an inside play area with all the blow-up jumpy things.  We've been to a couple birthday parties there and William never quite warmed up to the place, but it has been about 6-8 months, so we thought we'd give it another shot.  It's his birthday and we wanted to do something special.  Yeah....not so much.  He only wanted to sit in the firetruck and look at the arcade games.  He wanted nothing to do with any of the jumpies.  Nothing.  Ok - so we stay about an hour - just so we feel like we got something out of our $5.

so happy daddy came early!

Since Monkey Joe's was a total failure - I thought - why not go to Barnes & Noble and let him play with the Thomas the Train table?!  He'll love that - and he did!  There were several other children there when we got to the back, and he was a bit apprehensive at first, but then he grabbed a train and two cars and started playing.  Didn't force any issue, dealt with the pushy rude kids just fine, and all was good.  Up until it was time to go.  I think Sam finally just scooped him up and carried him out screaming.  Awesome for Barnes & Noble.  But I have a feeling that atleast the employees are used to it.  Oh well.

he did atleast try the icing on the cupcake, but that's about it.  the icing is the best part anyway.  smart kid.

I think we had pizza for dinner because it's his favorite.  And he even put his hunger strike on hold and ate his slice.  Then it was time for cake!  Or, well, a humongo chocolate cupcake with inches and inches of icing and two blue candles.  We sang happy birthday and blew out candles.  He actually did help blow out the candles.  But he didn't eat the cupcake.  Fine with mommy - I got the chocolate yumminess.

playing with his balloon - it was a definite hit!

Then we gave birthday cards and gift to Daddy and William did sing!!  We still haven't gotten it on video camera, because the camera needed to be charged and then William decided not to perform - but we'll have to keep trying.  Seriously - the most adorable thing ever!!!  We couldn't believe he was doing - combining the words and everything - but he was most definitely singing Happy Birthday Daddy.  So so cute.  One day....  maybe tomorrow we'll try again.

he was pretty excited about Mr. Potato Head - could barely wait for Sam to get him out of the box

So that was his birthday day.  Nothing huge - just a sweet birthday afternoon just us 3.  I really enjoyed it too.  And I even managed to actually surprise Sam, which never happens.  He ALWAYS guesses what his present is.  But I guess since I basically told him he wasn't getting anything because of the car registrations, he believed me and was surprised when I had William deliver a cd he had been wanting.  Nothing big, but I think he liked it.

funny little boy - he loves to sit there

William's "big" party was on Saturday at B&B's since we can't fit half of either family in our house.  But it wasn't a big party.  We had entertained the idea of having William's birthday at my parent's house, swim in the pond, grill out, but about a month before I just couldn't handle the stress of trying to make that work logistically, not to mention figuring out how to pay for the gas up to Cleveland on top of everything else we have due.  (I hate car registrations - seriously - the stinking Xterra refuses to lose value - it's killing us...haha)  Anyhow - my sweet parents, brother Kalin, and Daddy's mom,  Grandmother, made the 3 hour drive down for a two and a little hour party and William loved it.

blowing out 2 candles!!!


Well, he loved it as soon as he woke up from an unprecedented 3 hour nap.  Silly boy.  We're usually lucky to get 1.5 hours out of him on a Saturday, but I think that's because the boys' room is literally in the middle of the house, so we probably end up waking him up.  That was all fine - it gave the grown-ups a chance to catch up while we waited for the guest of honor.

he zeroed in on this gift pretty quickly - he must've been taking notes at all the birthday parties he has attended!

And I realize that this probably isn't necessarily the place, but since this is MY place, I am going on a mini-rant that my husband would not approve of.  Which probably should be my first clue to delete delete delete, but I'm not.  I think I have been very understanding about the comments on my belly.  I understand that it is my most significant feature at the moment and it is very difficult for most people to not comment on it.  I get that.  I have taken all the twins comments in stride because it's gentle teasing and, quite frankly, it's been mostly from people at work and I'm not going to get bent out of shape at work.  That being said, it is NEVER EVER EVER ok to walk in the room, see me, and say "Wow, you're large."  Especially if you are family.  It is even more NEVER EVER EVER ok to continue on that line of comments after I respond to you by saying "That's not nice."  Don't you think you know that I am humongous?!  And don't you think that I am probably struggling with my self-esteem on some level because of it?! So SHUT YOUR STUPID IGNORANT MOUTH!  Ok, I am done.  Thank you.

he insisted that he hold every. single. car. at. the. same. time.  So Silly!!


Where was I?  So William finally woke up and played coy.  He now gets nervous around large groups of people, so he clung to Sam and I for a little while until he warmed up.  But once he realized he knew everyone - he was off and running.  And, surprisingly, having both Grandaddies in the same room didn't hurt anyone's feelings.  It was very obvious that he loved both his Grandaddies, but preferred neither over the other, just them over everyone else... haha!!  We did presents first, and of course he wanted to open the one in the CARS wrapping paper first (that was from my parents - good call y'all!) and inside was CARS duplos set.  He made Sam dig out the cars, and basically he didn't care about any of the other presents.  Sam opened them for him and every once in awhile something would catch his eye, but he always went back to the cars.

and he mostly succeeded in holding all of them!

He got lots of great books - so happy to have something besides the choo choo book to read (it's the only book he ever chooses...) - not one but two lawn mowers!, a great movie - Chicken Run, more cars, and the list goes on.  He is a very lucky boy.  (Oh - forgot to mention that he got a Cars watch from us that he refuses to wear even though he's obsessed with our watches, a fabric car cozie that I made for him to hold his cars, Mr. Potato Head, and a bike helmet that he got in July & the cozy coupe car which we gave him MONTHS ago...)

Then Bill brings out their big gift, which is meant to replace the riding Woo Woo Truck that he plays with like nothing else exists at their house.... Lightning McQueen riding toy.  It's a car!!!  William loved it.  His first item of business - lining up all his cars on it so he can take them for a ride.  It was a very serious matter.  He then refused to do anything but drive it back and forth.  We even had to bring his cake to him to blow out candles, because there was no way he was going to go to the table.  Plus, he was again, not at all interested in cake.  Such a strange boy.

So, we ate cake, and he played, and then, sadly, everyone had to go.  I wish my family could've stayed longer, but it is 3 hours back.  And they'll be here in 28 days to help with William while I am in the hospital with baby Patrick.  So - not too long....



And I think that's pretty much it.  That was the birthdays.  2/3 of the way done.  Now - just one baby to birth and then my birthday.  Then we have to make it through Christmas.  Goodness.  Maybe we're drawing names this year....


Loves!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails