Monday, January 7, 2013

It's still 2013 at 5am


We didn’t even bother to pretend that we were going to stay up to ring in the New Year.  We were quite sure that it would still be 2013 when the boys woke us up at 500am…  At some point we had planned to make a slightly special dinner, but we flaked on that when we forgot to pull out the steaks.  Bet I made pasta.  Surprise surprise.  I had gotten off a little early that day, so we went to an afternoon movie (Taken 2 – loved it) complete with treats, so maybe I didn’t make dinner at all... I don’t know.  I should really start writing this stuff down immediately…


New Year’s Day, I made apple pancakes and then we took the boys to Cooper Creek in the morning.  Walked the long trails and stopped to feed the ducks.  William loves that.  Patrick enjoyed eating the bread.  Thank goodness it wasn’t really old – just leftover.  Ha!  The playgrounds out there aren’t quite as ‘safe’ and plastic as the ones they are used to – and William kept saying “I can’t”.  Sam wasn’t going to have that – so William had to do whatever it was that he was insisting he couldn’t do.  Of course, he was very proud of himself once he succeeded.  We can’t be raising a child who says “I can’t”.  I understand being afraid of something, but in certain situations, he’ll just have to be a big boy… especially when Daddy is there to help him and catch him if he falls.


Patrick has been a nightmare sleeper – but he now has FOUR teeth to show for it!!!  For a couple days (weeks) I thought we might lose our mind, as he was up every hour.  No bueno.  But now he’s back to waking up at 1000/1100 and then again at 100/200, then up for the day between 500/600.  Which, really, is pretty manageable.  And he doesn’t always get to nurse in the second wake-up.  I don’t think he does anyhow – maybe I’m too groggy to remember.  Ha.  How many teeth to children have?  I think it’s going to be a long year either way though…


Patrick is starting to use words a little more.  Sam said he said “all aboard” this morning.  And he likes to say “Car”, though he sounds like he’s from Boston when he says it.  “Mine” gets a lot of use when he plays with William.  And “UhOH” is of course a favorite.  Stinker.


William is still having really bad mornings.  He goes to bed pretty easily at 730 most nights – but he is just plain FOUL in the mornings.  Doesn’t want to do anything.  Probably because we are asking or suggesting or it came out of our mouths.  Maybe he’s just not a morning person anymore.  That is not going to bode well for our family dynamic…  We are trying to meld positive parenting aspects with a little more apparent structure.  I don’t know if it’s going well or if he’s just very three and needs to get older and outgrow whatever this is.  I guess we should just accept that we’ll never have all the answers and can only do what we can do as best as we can.  I don’t really find comfort in that though…

 


  

William’s favorite word right now is poop.  We are firmly into potty humor.  It’s great.  Seriously, poop gets tacked on to the end of almost every word, sentence, random jibberish, everything.  At first, it was legitimately funny (short-lived), then we tried to correct him, but now we are just ignoring it.  And praying that every time he goes up with the pastor for Children’s church he doesn’t say poop in to the microphone.


On that note – we are two weeks in to going to church (and Sunday school) every Sunday.  William loves going to Sunday school.  He wants to be in the four year old class, and since the three year old teacher never seems to be there on time, I might just have to strong arm the 4 year old teacher into letting William go there full time.  It’s where he wants to be anyway.  And it’s not REAL school – so really what’s the harm?  You would think it was Elementary school by the way she acts.  Whatever.  Last Sunday, when I took the boys by myself, William wanted to go “Big Church” with me (probably because of Christmas services) and I let him.  He did great, so as long as he’s on good behavior, he gets to come with us.  He does really well for being so young and then goes with the big kids to Children’s Church.  So proud.  He’s such a neat kid.  Patrick falls asleep every Sunday during Sunday School and Church.  I don’t think he’s learning very much at all.


I think it’s cool how young children make friends wherever they go.  We took them to Chickfila for dinner one night (the chicken still wasn’t thawed out by the time we got home) and he made fast friends with another little boy.  They had extensive adventures around running around the playground hiding from monsters… it was so cute.  I think I heard that the slide was a waterfall...not entirely sure.   Patrick had a good time being in the mix of all the children.  He would watch them run by and squeal and laugh.  I wonder how long this phase lasts… I’m not looking forward to dealing with bullies and mean children.  It’s so much better when they just automatically play together just because.


 Sam is kinda convinced that Patrick is going to still be ‘bald’ on his second birthday.  I might believe it.  He only now has enough hair to make it look like he has any at all (slash – his head just looks ‘dirty’).  We still can’t confirm the color – somewhere between blonde and red is our best guess.  Apparently, he has a friend (or friends) at school who love to rub his head because he doesn’t have any hair.  I wish there was some way to catch them in action – I bet it’s adorable.  I love to rub his head, makes perfect sense to me.  And I’m pretty sure my sister was held back from kindergarten because she was a late hair bloomer and she’s a brilliant surgeon – so there are worse things for sure.  Maybe that’s the key to success….  Hmmm.


Loves.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails