Sunday, January 27, 2013

Patience is a virtue....?

We have had many many moments this week when we realize that .... I don't even know what we realize.  That we are doing the best we can, we aren't doing it right, we are doing it right... I don't know.  What I do know, is that every single morning and afternoon with William was a super huge gigantor struggle.  Even donut Friday went south.  I got him a sprinkle donut instead of a plain donut and you would've though that the world was ending. Note - he did eat the sprinkle donut - so how bad could it have been?!  I don't know what to do.  Pray and hope that this unfortunate phase ends sooner rather than later I suppose.  Not sure if he needs to sleep more - bedtime is at 7pm for goodness sake and he wakes up between 5-6am - no idea how to make that lengthen out.  He probably ought to eat more, but that's also fun trying to get him to stay in his seat and eat whatever it is I have made.  And I promise you - whatever it is - he doesn't like or want it.  Wit's end.

it's just how he rolls - super cool kid that he is
 

We left work Friday at 5 and got home at 6.  It was that bad.  Usually the fight is over that he wants me to carry him and I am carrying Patrick and then we have to move on to the principle of the matter - so even though snatching him up and carrying him to the car would be the easiest way out - we can't do that - because that would be letting him control the consequences.  Not ok.  And I know, I know, pick them up when they ask because one day they won't want you to....  And I fully believe that.  But, he is also perfectly capable of walking and sometimes, he just needs to.  Maybe I've done it all wrong trying to give him a voice.  But that just sounds silly even writing it.  I just keep remembering that God doesn't just give you something (patience), he provides situations in which to learn it.

uncanny how alike these two are

Patrick went through another spout of waking up nearly every hour for a couple days.  That was not awesome.  We have gotten used to only two-three times at predictable hour ranges.  But we still only have four teeth to show for all of it.  I wish they would hurry up and pop through.  So we can move on to the rest of his mouth, slash molars - ick, and just get all of this messiness, exhausted nights, and plain ugliness over with.  No one likes being sleep deprived.  Patrick gets to take 3 hours naps at school - Mommy and Daddy not so much.


We were really just in survival mode this week - so it's kinda surprising that we managed family dinners at home every night.  Maybe it's because going out to fast food cost entirely too much now and we overspent our grocery budget just making the frig not so depressing...  Patrick ate like a champ all week long.  I think he's working on getting taller now as well.  He literally spent an hour at the table one night and it's safe to say that he's eating more than William is as a general rule.  Kid can put away some chicken nuggets.  Only four teeth - what?! haha!  I love his little belly and chubby thighs - I'm happy for him to stay little and tank-like forever.


We took the day off from church today to take the boys to Flat Rock Park.  Sam called it 'communing with nature family time'.  I insisted we atleast take their bible story book and read something.  Either way - we had a great time.  We walked A LOT, and then the boys played on the playground and played on the rocks.  It's funny how clear it is that Patrick understands just about everything we say and can follow directions.  He's such a smartie pants.  :)

this is the face we get every time we ask him to smile

William is growing in to a really great big brother.  The playground had one of those suspended bridges and Patrick really isn't big enough to do that by himself.  He was slipping on the angles and the movement kinda scared him.  I did it with him the first time, but then asked William to hold his hand and take care of him little brother.  It was the cutest thing - he did - and was so careful with him.  Really warmed my heart.  And then, when Patrick came down the slide,  William told him he was "so proud of him".  Oh my... I feel the tears coming.  Sweet sweet boys.

made Sam take a picture to prove I exist - ha!

Loves.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails