Monday, November 2, 2009

Who needs sleep...

...when you could be sewing!! It has become a theme - I finally get up the courage and materials to tackle a new sewing project and can't sleep through Friday night to start on it on Saturday. So I get my butt out of bed at 11:30 and get started. It's kinda ridiculous but I actually really enjoy the quiet uninterrupted time. Project this weekend was window treatments for our bedroom. We recently moved all the furniture around and it's so much better now. It's never my first choice to put the bed in front of a window and we gave the big wall a good try for 5 months (wow - we've lived here that long! time flies!!) but there's so much more space for walking now. Plus - you aren't accosted by the bed when you first walk in the door which is always a good thing.

So yeah. I had the fabric - we had bought it on sale right before we moved (and then two months later it went on crazy sale - but I was so pregnant and miserable and saving for baby that I didn't buy anymore - stupid stupid girl) anyway... We just wanted two panels, one width, no reason for them to be lined because the window faces an 8 foot fence and gets very little sun exposure (I might add it later though....much later) And to save on the cost of hardware - which can seriously add up for the good stuff - we are going to make a cornice board, paint it and add pretty moldings to cover the less expensive hardware. I feel genius for thinking of this. $4 in rods and the panels are up! Granted, we still have to buy a piece of plywood, paint, and moldings to finish the look (and get new bedding and make an upholstered headboard) but the cost for this is WAY under $100!! Well - actually I think it's $84 - but still. The wholesale labor cost for a one width panel is practically that much. And it's worth it because I'm sure they are sewn much better than these - but for all intents and purposes - I'm tickled pink with ours. I can't wait until we get it all done, piece by piece. I'm hoping that by this time next year it'll be done. Though I have a feeling Sam is going to convince me to spend the money much sooner... ;)


ignore the lack of picture quality - I took this on the iphone...
also, feel free to ignore the state of disaster of our bedroom...

On that note - we have decided to build some serious shelving for our office. Covering an entire wall around the window and Sam is even going to turn the corner and make a desk for me too. CANNOT WAIT!!! It's going to be a storage masterpiece!! Sam is also hoping this happens sooner rather than later. Why can't Lowe's just let us walk in and grab what we need - it would be so much easier to do projects if we didn't have to PAY for them! :)

It's kinda silly though - one of the most heard sentences in our house is "add it to the list". This "list" is getting stupid long of things we want/want to do to the house at a much quicker rate than things are coming off. Oh well. Atleast we won't be moving in 7 months like every other year! haha

I feel like there was a lot of project rambling....sorry!

Loves!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails