Saturday, April 30, 2011

Single mom for two weeks

Disclaimer - there are no pictures because the camera is dead and I don't have enough time to remember to plug it in.  I will go do that now....

Sam has been in Switzerland since Monday.  I know - I feel awful for him too.  I went into the week with a good attitude and a smile on my face.  And I think I've managed to keep them around for the most part despite the nightly tantrums, having to hold a 27lb toddler constantly, and extremely early wake up calls.

It's kind of pitiful really.  William is obviously much more aware that his Daddy is not around than the last time Sam had to travel.  (which I really can't even remember when that was it was so long ago...)  And he is responding with extreme clingyness.  I've had to do all the cooking, brush my teeth, and clean up the house with him on my hip.  Oh - and grocery shop.  That was fun, especially since I couldn't locate the pocket size kleenex tissues that I desperately needed for his teacher appreciation gifts.  I swear, we wandered the store for an hour before giving up, throwing in the towel, and going to Target.  Probably should've just started there but I needed bagels and other food type items and hate paying for it at Target.  anyhow.  I really don't mind holding him, it's just that he's so heavy.  My left arm gets tired.  And it's my strong arm from holding him for almost two years.  Oh well.  Guess I'll be even stronger after the two weeks are up.  Atleast on the left.

Monday night was especially rough for him.  He woke up at 3:00ish and absolutely refused to go back to bed unless I was holding him.  I tried three separate times to rock him and then put him down and as soon as I would lay him down he would freak out.  So he ended up sleeping in the bed on top of me.  He has NEVER EVER slept in our bed, but I had no idea what else to do.  And honestly, once he finally let me lay on my side holding him with his head on a pillow, I *might have* enjoyed it.  I didn't get a whole lot of sleep but when he woke up he looked at me, gave a big smile and a humongo hug.  What a great way to wake up!  And then on Friday night he got in bed with me at about 5:30 and at 6:00 gave me two big kisses on the mouth.  Such a sweet sweet affectionate boy.  I hope he never changes.

A fun part of being a single mom for two weeks, is I get to drop him off in the morning.  I'm pretty sure Sam doesn't have to go through a fifteen minute ordeal to get him settled and happy but I don't mind.  I was ridiculously early every day - so I had the time.  First, he wants to play with the blue car that apparently all the kids fight over.  Then he wants to go see Ms Carolyn, his old teacher.  They moved the room and it's now right across from his new room - he's loving it - and so are they! ;)   And assuming I get him to his correct room, we have to put his juice in the frig, Hilbert in his cubby, and he's usually off and playing with the trucks or fake food. A couple times he said bye and waved like it was no big deal, but twice he was upset a little.  Poor guy.

The most fun - is seeing him when Jude and his baby brother Noah come in.  William is ridiculously excited to see the baby and pats his head and talks to him and gives him hugs.  He's so sweet and tender.  I can't wait to see him as a big brother.  I anticipate he'll be insanely jealous but I'm also 100% sure we are going to have to tear him away from constantly hugging the baby.  I think he might be starting to slowly figure out that I'm pregnant.  If asked where's the baby? - he will pull up my shirt to touch by belly.  And he'll pat the belly and sometimes give it a hug.  So cute.  Or he's confusing the words baby & belly and has no idea what I'm talking about.  I like to believe that he's loving on his baby brother -so I'm sticking with that.

I did get Friday night off to have dinner with two girl friends while William went to B&B's to spend the night.  And I even let him stay over there until after nap.  I really missed my good morning wake up kiss and hug - but I got a lot done and even found fabric at a steal at JoAnn's for drapery panels and crib bedskirt.  Three dollars a yard!!!!!!!!!  I probably spent a gloriously quiet hour in there.  It was magical and oh so rare.

He was in a great mood when he got home and we played all afternoon.  He must have ran himself silly though, because he was getting fussy and clingy as early as 6:00ish, and was asleep with his head on my chest sitting in the rocker at 6:45.  He did scream when I put him in the bed, but that stopped in under 30 seconds.  And I guess if I had a choice, I'd rather sleep on mommy too - so I'll understand for another week.  I do kinda miss how easy bedtime was though but I'm sure when Sam is home things will go back to normal.

The funny part is that with Sam gone, I am being way too productive.  It'll be 9:00 before I've even had a chance to slow down and watch the DVR.  When Sam is home - the evening usually drags on - which is good for quality time - I just wasn't expecting it to be the opposite.  Though, I guess it makes sense.  50% less hands to do the normal work and I don't particularly want to sit too still because then I'll notice how quiet the house is.

I have a great surprise for Sam when he gets home - but on the off chance that he reads this post while in Switzerland I'm not spilling the beans.   But he's going to be excited.  And he's really good at guessing surprises so I'm not even giving a hint.  I bet he still figures it out.  Stinker.


No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails