Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Rumers go on vacation

It has been two long years since we had a good vacation.  Last year, I saved all of my vacation days for maternity leave, so there was none left over to go anywhere... which was fine.  But this means that when August came around this year, we were READY to GO.  We desperately needed the time away for all kinds of little and big reasons and we were not disappointed.  We may not be well rested, but I do feel more relaxed (which should count for something, people at work say I am "tightly wound"... whatever that means haha)


The weather was wonderful, even if it did rain every day, highs in the 80s.  I can absolutely become a beach bum with temps like that.  It will be great when both boys are big enough to play independently (or, god forbid, happily with each other) and Sam and I can truly just sit back and watch.  That being said, we had a great time building sand castles and riding the waves with the boys.  William kept wanting to crash my moat, and I had to remind myself that I was building the moat and castle for him... to not be upset that he was destroying "my" castle.. haha!!!


 


Patrick was convinced that he could swim and kept diving for the water.  William was super excited to play in the (very calm) waves the first day, but then swallowed some ocean water, which caused him to gag and throw up... so he was a little less than thrilled about playing by himself in the water for the rest of the week and tended to cling to Sam or me.  I don't blame him.  Both boys loved playing in the sand, but William kept having to wash his hands off.  Atleast he was in the sand this time!  Patrick thought it tasted good...silly boy.


 Oh - much to our surprise - we ended up potty training while we were down there and he only had 3 accidents total!!!  By the end of the week, and on the ride back home, he started telling us when he had to go.  Way to go William!!!  And, just because I KNOW you want to know, he even pooped on the potty!!!  "It was a good poop" too - such a silly boy.  Not sure where he learned that one.... I'm a little afraid to know really.  It's so funny - something obviously just clicked - and he was ready when he turned 3 and not a moment before.



 William got a king bed all to himself at the house and he must have loved it, because he didn't fight bedtime all week.  That might be because he was exhausted every day as well, but still.  Too bad kiddo - back to the twin at home.  haha.  Patrick slept with us in the king bed downstairs.  Oh, how I wish we had a king now.  Maybe one day.  But then we'd have to spring for the really expensive sheets... big bed = $$ sheets.  haha.  But William did really well in the bed all by himself and even let me take a snuggly nap with him one day.  Love that little boy.  He definitely started to develop a bit of Mommy phase down there and I'll take it.  He's always preferred his Daddy, so I'll enjoy it while I  can.





The rain finally stopped long enough for us to get our very talented cousin to snap a couple family photos of us and the boys.  I know that they will change far too much to actually use the picture for Christmas cards, assuming we even send any out this year, but I can't help but feel like it's kinda mandatory when you're at the beach to take the picture.  I'm still on the fence about whether we were TOO matchy or not, but I think I have almost decided that it doesn't quite matter.  It's hard to find outfits that coordinate between four people and not buy anything to make it happen... Just saying.  Anyhow - here are some of my favorites...





our very own mini Karate Kid


 


So, yeah, I guess those are the high points.  We swam.  We played.  We ate.  Sam and I even squeezed in a date night.  Good times were had by all.  I'm thinking we might go back to Destin, same general location, just the four of us next year...

Loves.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails